Retail advocacy is the number one way you can help support the efforts of Hill Country Hill Tribers. The added bonus is that you end up with a beautiful handmade product. The more you shop, the more you encourage refugee women to lift themselves out of poverty.
Spread the Word.
The needs in Austin’s refugee community for economic and educational development continue to grow. We are asking for committed friends to give $30 a month as a Hill Triber Patrons. Your donation will help isolated artisans receive much-needed income opportunities, English education and hope. Learn more about becoming a Patron or consider a one-time donation. All donations are tax-deductible and will be acknowledged with an end-of-the-year tax receipt.
Our current needs include:
- Sewing machines (used is ok if it’s in good condition)
- Cotton fabric (1 yard scraps or more)
- Gift cards to Jo-Ann’s or Hobby Lobby
- Bus passes for artisans
We believe in the power of prayer. Here are our current prayer requests:
- For peace and healing as refugee families gather the courage to create new lives
- For health insurance issues/red tape to be cleared up for a few artisan families
- For jobs to be secured for many of the artisans’ husbands
- For the protection of many of the artisans’ family members fighting in Burma or living in refugee camps in Thailand and Malaysia
- For a peaceful regime change in Burma
While we don’t have an official volunteer program at this time other than the occasional need for event help, there are a number of ways to get involved in the refugee community in Austin. Visit the refugee resources page to learn more about how you can start partnering with refugee families today.